Sunday, March 22, 2009

easter basket sewing

I've had the pleasure of spending a little more free time making things again lately. I've missed sewing for fun, when I'm so busy doing all the other activities involved with running Oliver + S.

This is a linen basket from the Zakka Sewing book. It makes up really quickly and easily. The size is great: a little smaller than 4" square. It could easily be enlarged for other purposes, but I'm planning to make more of them in this size to hold random sewing bits near my sewing machines at home and at the studio. (More images of project from the book here, and I blogged about the book a while ago here.)



I decided to repurpose this project to make an Easter basket for Tsia. Add an embroidered face, button eyes, and two sticky-up ears, and voila:


Just the right size for a few little springtime treats for S, who already noticed it and sneakily informed me she wanted, "Santa (Santa?) to bring me a little bag. One with ears." So subtle, she is.


I guess the surprise with this Easter basket will have to be the contents therein--about which she's already asking.... (That little heart tin is a smelly soap from Oilily. Yum.)

If you'd like to make your own Easter basket based on the pattern from the book, here is a download of the face and the ears that I used to make mine. You'll need some stiff interfacing for the ears, which get sewn into the top edge of the bag. Use the notches on the base of the ear pattern as a guide to help you fold approximately one third of the outside edge of the ear toward the center before you stitch it into place. The fold helps the ears to stand up and gives them a little dimension. Hippity hop!

32 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:27 PM

    oh love it! will you also make a bunny bag or is this what she was referring to? very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no, Susan, this is the bunny bag she referred to. She just hasn't gotten it yet. That was her 4-year-old way of hinting that she wanted what she saw "hiding" on the bookcase...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bunny bag is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:57 PM

    Looks like you need to find a better hiding place. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! So much cuter than the ho hum baskets I've got lying around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, that is such a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As if I didn't have enough projects back logged you have to go and show off this adorable bag which makes me toss everything else and want to begin on this for Easter! Too darling, just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's darling! Love the ears and your little one's Santa comment is too funny. Kids don't miss a beat do they? Have a great Monday.

    P.S. If you have any ideas for the Spring Swap I'd love to hear them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Liesl! This is so cute--I'll be getting out my Zakka book. So much better than previous store-bought Easter baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO CUTE! Unfortunately all of the copies (6) in my local library system are taken out with 11 holds on them once they come back! It looks like I may have to go buy this book to make this sweet basket (or look for a similar bag to modify). Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alright, this one's getting filed away in my "inspiration" folder. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made this bag a month or so ago and absolutely love it. I like how you turned it into a bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:41 AM

    Liesle this is just adorable!

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous1:13 PM

    This is so incredibly cute! great modification to the pattern. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is adorable! Loved Tsia's hints. hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous11:06 PM

    The bunny is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love it! i have so many projects on the go, but how can i let easter come without a little basket like this for my 4-year-old?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous8:57 PM

    so cute. Keep me posted when you head this way this summer. A meet-up would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awww... he's so cute!!!!

    I posted a link to your project on Craft Gossip Sewing Blog: http://sewing.craftgossip.com/free-pattern-m…c-bunny-basketfree-pattern-make-a-fabric-bunny-basket/2009/03/25/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is SO cute! I just love the blue eyes! I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooh I love this. I was looking all over for a simple fabric Easter basket and couldn't come up with anything right. This is just perfect. I think I will pick up this book and make a set for all of my kids next year. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awww.that's so cute. I tried to make one of the wrap baskets, it's cute, but WAY too heavy for my kid to use.
    sigh.. I'll try this if I get time this weekend... :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is so amazingly cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, I just love this! I have boys and most Easter Baskets are too frilly and girlie. I could totally tweak this style to make it more boy-friendly. AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous9:43 PM

    Hi
    These are just so gorgeous! My daughter will want to make at least a few of these for her friends when she leaves her school!!
    Debs

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous4:53 AM

    It was certainly interesting for me to read that article. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. I would like to read a bit more soon.

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much for the inspiration to make a basket for my son! Mentioned you on my blog:
    http://gerberadesigns.com/triedandtrue/?p=324

    ReplyDelete
  29. really cute & hope it is a quick sew-up & complete a couple prior to Easter. May have to take on that project for one of my home 'sew-in' with the girls!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just saw this in the round-up over on The Long Thread today. Thank goodness for round-ups or else I probably never would have seen this... and I love it! Totally my style. Thanks so much for sharing this. I think I might be making some this year. :)

    P.S. Just bought your new book a couple days ago. In love.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi there! I love this idea...it's so darling...and I was hoping that you might add it to my Easter and Spring Linking Party to share with my readers. If you are interested, you can go here http://bakedbyjoanna.blogspot.com/2011/04/easter-linking-party.html to enter. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete